Wednesday, December 29, 2010


Several months ago I was in a local coffee shop and to my surprise and delight, saw this. It is one of my handmade dolls riding atop a toy motorcycle (and seeming to enjoy it at that). I make these dolls out of natural fibers (wool, silk, cotton) that I have dyed in natural dyes from marigold blossoms and onion skins, leaves and tree barks. The blue is from indigo, and the bright orange hair here is from onion skins. I haven't made any of these dolls for sometime as I have been so bus with school and other parts of my life. but just running into it unexpectedly made me want to get back into the studio and make a bunch more. It felt good to see it in a new location, having adventures and being seen by people I will never meet. What a nice surprise. When we wake up and venture out into our worlds, there is always a possibility of something amazing happening. It feels good to be reminded of that from time to time.

No comments: