Thursday, August 18, 2011

Priorities

In a recent class that I gave on making portable shrines, I made this new one for myself. It is a shrine about my own creative process. I am working toward a routine/schedule/habit of working creatively each day. This sounds like it should be so easy, after all, who wouldn't want to play with creative expression on a daily basis? But I find it so easy to have excuses why other things need to happen first; errands, house cleaning, tending to the needs of others. Creative work (and I use the term work on purpose, to help me see that this is what I want to be doing) seems so self indulgent and not to be placed in a position of priority.
I am gently retraining my thoughts to hold my creative work as a priority and of equal value to washing dishes or other chores that tug at my thoughts. I am learning to place the creative work earlier in the daily schedule so that I don't come to it tired and having spent my energy elsewhere. I am also learning that a daily creative habit, while it feels good, does not ensure great work. But, with more writing, or image making, or whatever, there is more likelihood of the work getting better and better, and this is more than worth the effort. Practice, while not making anything perfect, can make it good.
And I can live with that. There is always time for the dishes etc. afterwards.


No comments: